Sunday, January 23, 2011

Settings, Settings, Settings!!

Settings. TADA!!!! You can make them boring, or they can really give the reader a better view of your story.
Okay. Here's an example of a not-so-good setting:
"We were at a playground. There were swings, and bark, and grass. There was also a slide. In the park there were monkey bars and tunnels too."
You see? Doesn't it just... I don't know, but it doesn't flow that smoothly, right?
So here's a tip to make your settings better!!!
You want to make the reader feel like they can actually see it, and be in your story. So don't just describe the setting, add in all the senses. Also, you don't always have to say "There was" and "I saw." Do some metaphors, or personification, or something. Here's another example:
"I breathed in the sharp smells of wet grass. Birds chirped in the light blue sky, and the swings swayed back and forth in the breeze. Dew shone on the slide. The rusty iron of the monkey bars and the tunnels creaked slowly."
That sounds a lot better than the other example, right? Well, settings are a pretty big part of a story! Don't just list everything, make it sound interesting! Draw the reader in!
I hope this helped! Adios!

2 comments:

  1. Hey,could you help me? i'd like to be an author, I sent an email to Chiaki, but she hasn't been on lately, so I guess she still hasn't seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I'm not sure.. I'll talk to her. XP

    ReplyDelete